Sunday, September 6, 2015

Leap Day by Wendy Mass

Frances Hurtado
September 6, 2015


This summer I read Leap Day by Wendy Mass. This book is about the main character, Josie Taylor’s 16th birthday.  Josie was born on Leap Day, which means her birthday only comes around every four years. The story takes place in Orlando, Florida, and is about all the different events that happen on her birthday.  These events include taking a driver’s test, trying out for a school play, going on a scavenger hunt, and celebrating Josie’s birthday with an initiation at the lake.  Josie participates in these events with her three good friends, and this book really shows how important friendship can be.  Each chapter alternates perspectives from Josie’s perspective to the perspective of the people around her.  Josie thinks that she knows what everyone else is thinking, but she is wrong.
As the reader, I found myself also assuming things about the characters in the story.  I realized that you can’t assume you know what other people are thinking.  I felt a connection to the friendships in this novel.  Just like Josie and her friends, I am lucky enough to have close friends that I can trust and rely on.  I recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a story that contains strong friendships between girls, or people who love hearing multiple perspectives in a book.




No comments:

Post a Comment